New Secula Tail Light

As part of the recent rebuild of my personal Rambler I included a new dynamo powered tail light.  THe B&M Secula is looking to be one of the better options for 2014 and I wanted some first hand experience with set up and performance.

1.24 secula WP-1040488My previous go to light was the B&M Seculight, also a good performer and better than many battery powered lights on the Market.  The Secula implements what B&M is calling LineTec.  The LED shines into a thick prismatic lens distributing the light across a wider angle of view.  Initial bench tests look quite promising, and I am looking forward to getting this out in the dark.

One thing I never noticed with the older B&M packaging was the direct intent to be used as a hole template for drilling the fender mounting location, this worked out nicely.

1.24 secula WP-1040489 1.24 secula WP-1040490 1.24 secula WP-1040491Everything went together well as a standard fender mounted tail light would.  The only thing that bothered be a bit was the wire routing out of the fender to the bottom connection points.  The design intent is to use a common hole for the alignment prong on the light base and the wire pass through the fender.  As a rule I always use a relieve grommet on the holes to ensure the wire does not get cut over time.  This led to a space conflict as well as the light base no longer following the curve of the fender.  I resolved this by cutting a small section out of the relief grommet as well as shimming the mounting bolt with a round leather washer.

1.24 secula WP-1040496It all pulled in flush and snug.  I replaced the stock nut with a nylon lock nut and trimmed the bolt a few thready to maximize tire clearance.  It all came together well.

1.24 secula WP-1040501Through frame wiring was a breeze.  I use an old derailer cable butt spliced to my dual conductor wire with the glue filled shrink wrap as a wire fish.  All wire runs are through the frame or inside the fenders with the wires tucked into an edge.  The exposed run from the seat tube to the rear fender is secured with a short piece of cloth tape.  THe front fender had been previously drilled for a head light only.  For this build I opted for a second set of holes.  On new builds I generally use a larger hole and grommet to accommodate the two wires.

1.24 secula WP-1040495

1.24 secula WP-1040506 1.24 secula WP-1040504 1.24 secula WP-1040503My personal Rambler is finally reflecting the complete vision of what a Rambler is meant to be.  There are a few details like the bottle cages to take care of still.  My Rambler will also be the test bed for rack and bag projects, so matching there may never happen.  Overall though I am thrilled with the way this build came together

1.23 almost FL-1040499

This entry was posted in build tips. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New Secula Tail Light

1. Errin says:

That looks great Rob. I still need to mount my taillight to my fenders but I need to remove the BB and fish new wire through so I’ve been putting it off. Where did you get that washer for the fender? Can I get that at Home Depot or something?

• Rob says:

Thanks, the grommets can be found at most well stocked hardware stores in the electrical section, they are called stress relief grommets I think. THe ones I use for a single wire take a 1/4″ hole. I will gram a pic and the drill bit I use in a little bit. Thinking about it I should do a “drilling holes in fenders” post this week too.

2. Pingback: Holes In Metal Fenders | Ocean Air Cycles

3. This is great craftsmanship. I plan on following your guidance when I install my taillight sometime soon. One comment: (and please don’t read this as typical internet criticism for its own sake) would it perhaps be more effective to mount the taillight a little higher on the fender’s curve so that it points more directly at a driver’s eyes? Just a thought.

• Rob says:

I hear you on the mounting. THis is actually more a function of the stock vela orange holes than my preference. I have gone above and below their mounting points on various builds, and above ends up pointing at the moon, and below (as in this post) ends up low and just at horizontal. In defense of the situation here, the light has an amazing angle of view as well as casting a large red area on the ground. The Secula has solved most of the things I considered shortcomings of the existing lights. So well that I am no longer even thinking about my own hacked improvements

4. Australia says:

Rob, did you encounter a pair of small grommety things in the bag-o-bits that came with your secula? About to install mine and wondering what they are for.

• Rob says:

I am pretty sure they are for waterproofing the entry holes on the bottom edge once the wires are installed. Honestly I did not use them, we so seldom get rain, and they were a pretty big pain to get in place well.

• Rob says:

In my 5th pic down you can see where the wires would go into the bottom of the housing, that is where the grommets were intended to seal around the connector as it enters. Never having had trouble with external connectors on the other lights I decided to leave them open as drain holes